Monday, June 29, 2009

1st Golf Lesson

So I had my first golf lesson this morning with Andy at Stone Tree. It was a lot of fun. I was worried about the rain so I got there early and i got a bucket of balls to warm up. He got me to change quite a few things and I think it made a difference.

The first thing he got me to focus on was my stance. He wanted me to have the same stance all the time. Standing almost straight up so the ball would have to be closer. Then on my grip he wanted the end of the club to be out further so i would "choke up" a little bit. He also wanted my hands to be almost like a fist as opposed to holding the whole grip. THe next thing he wanted me to do was make sure I use my legs to turn...keep my left foot down when I swing, but put my right heel up after I swing and hold it until the ball lands. Also I was rotating the club the wrong way...hard to describe but I was twisting it forwards instead of to the side. THe last thing he said was to slow down my backswing, so do the backswing, hold for a count, follow through then hold until the ball lands. I hit some good ones, but there's a lot to remember. The key thing is to make the swing the same every time. It was different but I think it was working.

I asked about the hybrid...he said he had a hybrid...he could never hit with the 3 iron and he thinks the hybrid is great. I had to do the same I was doing except move my legs a little further apart. The shots were quite straight and not curving to the right as usual. I learned a lot, the weather held up and my next lesson is Monday at 5pm.

Probably golfing on Wednesday with work (depending on weather) and Thursday with Janet and Blaine after work so I'll have a couple of cracks at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment